Our Ruth Girl

Our Ruth Girl
(She is 10 1/2 years old)

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Day 12

We all must have slept well last night because no one was awake when Granny made her usual phone call at 7:00!

After giving Ruth several swallows of water, I tried the peanut butter meds... she didn't want to take them, so I had to put the glob in her mouth! I thought she had swallowed both... but she'd snookered me! When we went to move her from the pad on the floor, to the couch, a pill was discovered!!! She got it this time... chased with some chicken juice!

Before moving her off the pad, we did a series of exerices... first we leaned her up on her elbow and kept her propped up for a few minutes. Then we slowly turned her on her back and I "bicycle" worked the back legs while Bud worked the front legs. When Bud put her up on the couch, she got some drinks and a couple squirts of the "tasty" supplement (it was priceless the other day, the expression on Beth's face when she wanted to smell what Sister was getting!).

I don't think I've mentioned this before... part of Ruth's therapy... I even massage between her toes "getting the toe jam out" and then underneath between her pad and toes. Over the last few days, I always get a reaction/response! I am so prayful that this disease has run its course and she's slowly coming back to us!

She refused the thicker CoW for lunch. Just getting more water and the "tasty" stuff!

It's turned out to be a beautiful, sunny day! There is a slight wind, but doesn't feel to have any chill in it so about 1:30 Daddy took Ruth outside!!! Soon as he sat her hind legs down, she pottied!!! He scooted her over and we tried the sternal position for a few seconds, then she stretched out her back right leg. We tried her in the sitting position for a few seconds... When Bud brought her back inside, and settled on the couch, she's konked out! I did manage getting her to swallow several mouth fulls of water first, and she's "sawing logs" right now!

We are so blessed that she can hold up her head. She does especially well when leaning/ propped up on her elbow.

Mid afternoon I emailed Lexi's "parents" and have received several emails full of information to help us help Our Ruth Girl. She explained the "tuck and roll" method of moving Ruth around that will also strengthen her legs and may possibly get her walking sooner! Also, she shared about the peanut-shaped ball therapy and gave me the link to where we can purchase the ball!

She eagerly took her peanut butter covered meds this evening! There was nothing else that remotely interested her. So, she got the "tasty" squirt!

Ruth is absolutely pooped today... I've not seen her actually sleep as peacefully since before this all started. Before "bed" we will put her in the sternal position once again, then settle her in for the night. Again tonight we will snuggle. I have encouraged Bud that he & Beth return to the bedroom and get a good night's rest rather than sleep in the recliner. Ruth and I will be just fine here in the living room.

We have so much to be thankful for today!

.

This is our baby girl, Beth

This is our baby girl, Beth
(She is 9 1/2 years old)